10 fast facts about Corpus Christi
Test your Corpus Christi knowledge! Whether you live in the city or are planning a visit, do you know these 10 fast facts about the sparkling city by the sea?
10. What’s in a name? In 1519, a Spanish explorer discovered the city on the Roman Catholic Feast Day of Corpus Christi and named it after the holiday. Corpus Christi translates to “Body of Christ.”
9. Pop legend Selena, “Queen of Tejano Music,” was born, raised and suffered a tragic death in Corpus Christi. The Selena Museum pays tribute to the iconic singer and a bronze statue of Selena looks out over Corpus Christi Bay at the downtown seawall. P.S. pop star Selena Gomez was named after Corpus Christi’s Selena.
8. The most destructive storm the city has ever seen was in September 1919. The death toll was between 600 and 1,000 people and only three structures survived, making it the fourth deadliest hurricane of the 20th century.
7. The total area of Corpus Christi is 460.2 square miles, but nearly 3/4 of that land is covered by water.
6. The USS Lexington served as the set for Michael Bay’s 2000 film, Pearl Harbor.
5. In 1554, three Spanish ships wrecked on the shores of the Padre Island Seashore. Approximately 300 people were aboard the ships. Those that made it to shore encountered violent Native Americans and only one person, Fray Marcos de Mena, survived to tell the tale.
4. Due to high windspeeds, Corpus Christi is one of the best cities in North America for kiteboarding, wind surfing, kite flying and sailing. The city has even hosted the Windsurfing World Championships. It has also drawn the interest of the wind energy industry, which is proving to be somewhat controversial.
3. Locals like to keep their beaches clean. Friends of Padre organizes the annual Big Shell Beach Clean-Up. Since 1995, volunteers have removed over 2,456,000 pounds of trash from Padre Island National Seashore.
2. Whataburger was founded in Corpus Christi and spread across Texas like wildfire. The original two-story location is still open today, serving juicy burgers at 121 Shoreline Blvd. in downtown Corpus Christi.
1. Corpus Christi Bay boasts 192 square miles of shoreline. The beaches are well worth a visit. Find inspiration for your trip in our vacation guide at 101CorpusChristi.com/vacation!
Find more articles like this in Vacation News