5 ways to get fit in Corpus Christi
It isn’t hard to lead a healthy lifestyle in Corpus Christi. Group fitness classes, 5K charity runs, scenic trails and 130 plus miles of beaches make it easy to get to live an active lifestyle. Here’s a few tips to get you going.
1. Start each month with a Harbor Bridge walk and Heritage Park fitness class
Every first Sunday of the month, starting at 8:30 a.m., the Harbor Bridge is closed off for pedestrians to enjoy breathtaking views of the city. The walk across the bridge and back is a total of 3.42 miles. Afterwards, join community fitness classes at Galvan House in Heritage Park where the walk both begins and ends. Activities range from yoga, Zumba, Tai Chi and more. Do it five times, and earn a free T-shirt! Click here for more information.
2. Bike or jog along the downtown seawall
The 1.5 mile stretch of seawall is perfect for casual joggers. The murals along the seawall set the scene, not to mention the beautiful views of Corpus Christi Bay and the city marina. Be sure tomake a stop or two along “Journey Through Our Solar System,” a to-scale model of the solar system that begins with the sun near Harrison’s Point and ends with Pluto at the American Bank Center.
3. Become a Corpus Christi Roadrunner
Running with a group is great fitness motivation. Each week, the Corpus Christi Roadrunners hosts free group runs open to the public. View the run schedule here.
4. Walk for a cause
Corpus Christi hosts a wealth of 5Ks that support causes from breast cancer research to heart health. Find events at RunningintheUSA.com or consider these recommendations:
- Cupid’s Chase 5K February 13 benefits the lives of people with disabilities.
- The Thin Mint Sprint 5K February 27 benefits the Girl Scouts.
- The 19th Annual Goodwill Run on March 5.
- The American Heart Association’s Heart Walk October 1.
- The Monster Mash Cupcake Dash October 29 benefits the Corpus Christi Family Counseling Service (there will be cupcakes at the finish line!)
5. Join the It’s Time Texas Community Challenge
Join the city’s efforts to be the fittest municipality in Texas. “It’s Time Texas Community Challenge” encourages people all over the state to lead healthy lifestyles. Help Corpus Christi win the challenge by earning points through your healthy activity! Read more about the challenge here.
Find more articles like this in Healthy Living Guide